Posts for: December, 2020
How your foot doctor in Toms River, New Jersey can help if you have Achilles tendonitis
If you have chronic pain in your heel and foot that makes it painful to walk, you could have Achilles tendonitis. It’s a common foot issue, especially for runners and other athletes. The good news is, it’s also a condition that can be treated by your foot doctor.
Dr. William Sachs, your foot doctor at Adult & Child Footcare can help your feet feel better. He has two convenient office locations in Toms River, and Shrewsbury, New Jersey to help you and your feet.
How can you tell if you have Achilles tendonitis? There are a few signs and symptoms to pay attention to. They are:
- Swelling and inflammation around and behind your heel
- Aching, stabbing pain around and behind your heel
- Pain in your Achilles tendon when you move your foot
- Difficulty walking because of the pain in your Achilles tendon
There are some important tips you can follow to help prevent Achilles tendonitis:
- Begin an exercise or strenuous activity slowly
- Stretch your feet, ankles, and Achilles tendon by doing heel lifts
- Wear supportive, comfortable footwear that is appropriate to the sport or activity you are doing
- Walk on even, supportive surfaces whenever you can
Dr. Sachs has several effective treatments for Achilles tendonitis. He may suggest:
- Taking prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Applying ice to your Achilles tendon area to reduce swelling
- Stretching and physical therapy to maintain flexibility
- Resting and elevating your foot to take the stress off of the tendon
If you are suffering from Achilles tendonitis, get some relief from your podiatrist. Call Dr. William A. Sachs, your foot doctor at Adult & Child Footcare. You can contact him in Toms River at (732) 255-7070, or at the office in Shrewsbury, New Jersey at (732) 389-2555. Call now and help your feet!
Are you struggling with heel pain?
From standing on your feet all day to pounding the pavement, there are many habits and changes to your daily routine that could leave you massaging some sore, achy heels at night. However, when heel pain becomes a regular occurrence you may be wondering what’s going on. While minor heel pain may be treated with rest, pain relievers, and ice, you may want to see our Toms River, NJ, podiatrist Dr. William Sachs if symptoms don’t improve within a week.
What is causing my heel pain?
If you’ve never had heel pain before this is just one reason to visit our Toms River, NJ, podiatrist for a proper evaluation. After all, the cause of your heel pain will determine the proper treatment plan, and we will need to examine your foot and potentially run imaging tests to be able to pinpoint the root cause.
Common causes of heel pain include:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendonitis
- Heel spur
- Excessive pronation
When should I see a podiatrist?
If you’ve determined that a certain set of high heels causes your feet to ache or taking a day or two away from a long run helps your heel improve then you may not need to see a medical professional; however if you are dealing with persistent redness, swelling, tenderness, and pain then you should play it safe and schedule an evaluation with us. You should also give us a call if:
- Your heel pain gets worse or doesn’t respond to rest and home care
- You can’t get through your normal routine and activities because of pain
- You develop numbness or tingling in your feet
- Your heel pain occurred as a result of an accident or injury (requires immediate care)
- You notice a visible deformity in the foot (also requires immediate care)
- There is discoloration or any changes in the color or temperature of your skin
Don’t ignore heel pain! The sooner you get proper care from a qualified medical professional the better, and our podiatrists here in Toms River and Shrewsbury, NJ, can help. Call Adult & Child Footcare at (732) 389-2555 today to get the care your feet need.