How We Can Help You Deal With Your Bunions
The simple act of wearing shoes can be extremely uncomfortable when you have bunions. Bunions can also make activities like walking and running painful. Bunions do not disappear on their own and cannot be treated with at-home or over-the-counter remedies. Fortunately, a variety of effective treatments are available through a podiatrist. For treatment of bunions in Shrewsbury and Toms River, NJ, Dr. William Sachs of Adult & Child Footcare is your experienced podiatrist.
What Are Bunions?
Bunions are bony bumps that form on the sides of the feet near the big toe and protrude out from the foot. They are formed when the big toe ends up moving out of place. Shoes and other footwear tend to feel tighter in the area where the bunions stick out. Additionally, since bunions do protrude they often rub against the interior of whatever shoes are being worn. The rubbing produces friction which can inflame and irritate the bunions, leading to additional pain and discomfort.
Bunions do require medical treatment. There is no other way to remove bunions and correct alignment of the big toe and joint. Fortunately, there are experienced podiatrists available to treat your bunions in Shrewsbury and Toms River. Bunions can be initially treated by alleviating the pain caused when footwear rubs against them. Steps can also be taken to prevent bunions from continuing to grow and protrude even more. Treatment methods for bunions include:
- Doing foot exercises to prevent stiffness and improve joint functioning.
- Having any corns or calluses on the foot removed.
- Wearing shoes that are wider or larger to provide extra room in the bunion area.
- Inserting protective padding inside the shoes to minimize friction and rubbing.
- Wearing orthotics inside the shoes, which can correct foot positioning and stabilize the inflamed toe joint.
- Wearing splints at night to realign the toe and joint where the bunion formed.
- Undergoing foot surgery to correct toe alignment and remove the bunion.
Bunions can be painful, but there are many effective treatment options available. Dr. Sachs and the entire podiatry team at Adult & Child Footcare can help you deal with your bunions in Shrewsbury and Toms River, NJ. Call to schedule an appointment today.