How Your Podiatrist Can Help With Your Heel Pain
Are you struggling with heel pain?
From standing on your feet all day to pounding the pavement, there are many habits and changes to your daily routine that could leave you massaging some sore, achy heels at night. However, when heel pain becomes a regular occurrence you may be wondering what’s going on. While minor heel pain may be treated with rest, pain relievers, and ice, you may want to see our Toms River, NJ, podiatrist Dr. William Sachs if symptoms don’t improve within a week.
What is causing my heel pain?
If you’ve never had heel pain before this is just one reason to visit our Toms River, NJ, podiatrist for a proper evaluation. After all, the cause of your heel pain will determine the proper treatment plan, and we will need to examine your foot and potentially run imaging tests to be able to pinpoint the root cause.
Common causes of heel pain include:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendonitis
- Heel spur
- Excessive pronation
When should I see a podiatrist?
If you’ve determined that a certain set of high heels causes your feet to ache or taking a day or two away from a long run helps your heel improve then you may not need to see a medical professional; however if you are dealing with persistent redness, swelling, tenderness, and pain then you should play it safe and schedule an evaluation with us. You should also give us a call if:
- Your heel pain gets worse or doesn’t respond to rest and home care
- You can’t get through your normal routine and activities because of pain
- You develop numbness or tingling in your feet
- Your heel pain occurred as a result of an accident or injury (requires immediate care)
- You notice a visible deformity in the foot (also requires immediate care)
- There is discoloration or any changes in the color or temperature of your skin
Don’t ignore heel pain! The sooner you get proper care from a qualified medical professional the better, and our podiatrists here in Toms River and Shrewsbury, NJ, can help. Call Adult & Child Footcare at (732) 389-2555 today to get the care your feet need.