How Your Podiatrist Can Help with Your Heel Pain
If you find yourself reaching back to grab the heel of your foot often when you sit down after a long day, you may have a heel pain issue that needs treatment from a podiatrist. That heel pain isn’t going to go away on its own—get help from a podiatrist at Adult & Child Footcare in Shrewsbury and Toms River, NJ.
Heel Pain Causes and Symptoms
The cause of your heel pain could be a foot condition, like flat feet, plantar fasciitis, or Achilles tendonitis. It could also be caused by an unwanted growth on the heel bone (spur syndrome) or on the skin (calluses). Additional symptoms of heel pain may include:
- Swelling and redness.
- Sharp sensations of pain or dull aching.
- Feeling a bump or sore on the heel.
- Limping when you walk or noticing a change in your gait.
Ask Your Podiatrist for Help
Advanced foot therapies are available at Adult & Child Footcare in Shrewsbury and Toms River. Treatments for heel pain include:
- Custom orthotics that promote your arch, which can in turn help heal the plantar fascia ligament.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy, which uses your own blood to encourage healing in damaged tissue.
- Anti-inflammatory medications (oral, topical, or injected).
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy to treat persistent heel pain
- Surgery to remove heel spurs or repair the Achilles tendon.
Heel Pain Counseling
After your heel pain has finally subsided, you’ll want to take steps to prevent it from returning. Your podiatrist will counsel you on ways to reduce the chance of future heel problems. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Wear better shoes that fit comfortably. Avoid wearing high heels and flip-flops for long periods of time.
- Exercise and stretch your feet when you’re sitting down resting or at your desk.
- Wear an ankle brace when exercising, and use the custom orthotic devices prescribed by your foot doctor as suggested.
Relief for Your Feet
The podiatrists at Adult & Child Footcare in Shrewsbury and Toms River, NJ can help you get some much-needed relief for your feet. Call today to ask Dr. William Sachs about heel pain treatment options.